Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Morning

I got up at 5:50 this morning, ate some flakes, suited up, SUNSCREENED up, and headed out.

I decided to head for Alpine, via Dehesa Road. So I took Fletcher to Amaya, planning to turn right on Grossmont Blvd. But first, I had to fix a flat tire. The rear, of course. I was so discouraged that I almost quit. It was so icky, all the sunscreen and grease and floppy forks. But I manned-up, as it were, and got 'er done!

I did the usual squiggle across El Cajon, exiting the bowel through Granite Hills, down the hill, out on Dehesa Road along the Sweetwater River, then up the grade. I only got passed by four (silent) guys on the grade. Probably because that was all there were.

That sentence looks funny.

When I was back there on the flats, I could tell I had enough sunscreen on by the number of little black bugs stuck to my arms and legs. Lots!

At the top I turned north towards Alpine. I saw ten or so male and female cyclisst coming the other way, most of them were conversing in espaƱol. I found a good place to stop for water next to Boulder Oaks Elementary School. It is a little park with a name that is not easily discoverable on the internet, even after spending a half-hour searching!

I continued over to Alpine. Well, lower Alpine. Turned left on Alpine Blvd. and coasted all the way down to the bottom of the hill, then laboured back up the hill, then coasted (mostly) back down. At one point I was moved to stop and move a television tube out of the bike lane. It was squarely in the middle!

2009August09 bike ride 001

And now it is not.

On towards El Cajon! I was feeling pretty beat, but I passed a lady pedaling up the hill from Los Coches Road and what is apparently still East Main. And I was in granny-1!! I coasted down the other side, but the lady was coasting faster. I started pedaling and weaving around the manhole covers, and she kept her distance. She turned off at Pepper, I turned at Greenfield.

I suffered my way up Fletcher Parkway, half-heartedly collecting a couple of rocks.

Fortunately, it's mostly down hill from there!

Did I mention I found this little unbranded socket adapter back there at the corner of Dehesa Road and Willow Glen Drive? I thought not!

2009August09 bike ride 003

And that is the tube with a hole in it.

The trip meter for the week is right at 116.08 miles, so I'm figureing I did pretty darn close to 40 miles today, one side or the other

The odometer is at 8,258 miles.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)