Sunday, October 28, 2007

Don't Ask

Dont' tell nobody, but against my better judgment I went for a bike ride to Spring Valley this Sunday morning.

Saw this broken medallion at the end of my street. Someone must be heartbroken!

2007Oct28bikeride 007

Does not the cigarette butt make the picture?

Have been meaning to get an picture of the temporary library/office building going up in La Mesa. Finally did!

2007Oct28bikeride 002

It was cool but warming up as I rode. Oh, I fogot the moon pic! I took this as I was leaving the house.

2007Oct28bikerideCRPD 001

You are saying, so what? It's the moon.

Well, it IS the moon.
How can you tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon?
That's a paraphrase of a sort of quote in a Coben book titled "The Woods".

Spring Valley has very nice bike lanes on Sweetwater Road., but they need to be swept more. Lots of glass, trash, and brake shoes. But it is STILL way better than Mission Gorge Road in downtown Santee, which is a death trap!

I continued down to Sweetwater and Jamacha Blvd. (not to be confused with Jamacha Road, which was one block north.). I wanted to get a picture of San Miguel Mountain, but there was too much haze/particulates in the air. Probably a bad idea to be riding, even! Anyway, couldn't see anything of the burned area, so I turned west then east on Elkelton Blvd. A much nicer, residential, road than Sweetwater Blvd.

I heard, then saw parrots!

2007Oct28bikerideCRPD 003

I must confess, I did a bad thing. I was riding along Elekelton when a rather large man starting jaywalking, I mean crossing, the road a ways ahead. He looked for cars, saw none and waked a leisurely pace. I could see our paths were converging, and I was a bit put out he wasn't moving it along. So I maintained my speed and we got closer and closer and ... he looked over, jumped a foot in the air, let out a yell and ran out of my way. I said, "Hey." So that was bad, he obviously DIDN'T see me, and I shouldn't have been such a jerk.

My keyboard tray is broken, it's half-sitting on my lap, and every keystroke makes a "bang".

The charming thing about Elekelton is the Foster's Freeze at the corner of Elekelton and Jamacha ROAD. I have fond memories of blackberry shakes, onion rings, and hot pastrami sandwiches from Foster's Freeze.

Continued home in a round-about manner, saw pile of bike parts, what's up with that?

2007Oct28bikeride 004
Right-click and choose "View Image" to see the whole thing.

Free for the taking? I don't see any Merckx bikes in there, do you?

As I went under the 94 overpass someone yelled out "Hello" (or something), but I never saw who it was, or what it was. Another crazy cyclist out destroying his lungs?

I stopped over at the Heartland Youth For Decency Vietnam War Memorial, said to be the first in the United States, according the the American Legion La Mesa Post 282 Post history page.

2007Oct28bikeride 006
I'm over there -----> Right-click and choose "View Image"

That's my new jersey on its premier ride, a gift from my wife for our anniversary. It's a De Marchi, size Large, made in Romania, 100% polyester. It has a gripper around the waist, and one of the pockets is zippered. I didn't even realize it was yellow till I went outside and rode for a while this morning!


Week Stats

Schwinn: 36.82 miles
Jamis: 11.11 miles

Week Total: 47.93 miles

Odometers

Schwinn 6,796 miles YTD 750 miles (YStart 6,046)
Jamis 3,710 miles YTD 1,437 miles (YStart 2,273)
TOTAL YTD 2,187 miles

No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)