Saturday, March 07, 2015

Saturday Drive'n'Bike

I went geocaching this morning, quite early I spent an hour looking for the first cache, and did not find it.  But I found this hummingbird nest, with a humming bird in it!

(Image file size 334K)

And a forlorn piece of camo tape.

(Image file size 100k)

Next I drove to another cache, and didn't find that one.  After that I parked at the 82nd Aero Squadron (don't tell!) and rode the bike down the street to search for and actually FIND a cache.  Yay, first find of the day!

I biked back to the vehicle and drove over to Tierrasanta. I found one cache there, but I forgot my pen, and later forgot to go back to sign the log, so I don't get credit for that one, YET!  But at least I know where it is!

I established a base of operations at a tiny park on the mushroom street. Then biked up the 52 bike path.

 (Image file size 332K)



It was nearly two miles to the cache I wanted to find.  It was a pretty easy find, but biking up the grade was a bit of a chore, but by far the worst thing is the noise of the traffic.  It's very oppressive.

(Image file size a measly 46K)

I highly recommend Spam.  I ate it all last week, except for pizza days.  Spam is an excellent source of protein, fat, and possibly salt, I'm not sure.  I suggest frying it and serving on hot tortillas covered with melted cheese.  And while I didn't have any, I bet sour cream would be good!

Coasting back down the 52 is rather more pleasant.  I headed down a side street and saw this guy getting ready to head out.  I asked to take his picture, and right after this he fired it up.  It set off the alarm in that truck there.  Oh, did you notice the Corvair van in the background?

(Image file size 431K)

After making the quick'n'easy find just off this street I pedaled back to the mushroom street.  A young lad playing hoops yelled out that there sure were a lot of bicyclists out today.

I rode out and back up the mushroom street, finding three more caches.  I got back to the vehicle, loaded up the bike, and headed to Santee.

I parked at the parking lot for the park on Carlton Hills and rode the bike under the bridge to the west.  There is a nice trail going along for a bit, then it turns into a "future trail", which is presently a dirt road/path, along the perimeter of the golf course.  I got to ground zero for my targeted cache, and finally found it in the third most likely spot.  So that went well!

I talked to M. while I was heading back and we make plans to go buy stuff.  But I had one more cache to look for.

I drove over to one location, an EVIL location, as the cache there had been eluding me for the three times I had tried to find it.  Well, this time I spotted it in about five minutes.  So that went well, too!

(Image file size an even smaller 36K)

I went home a showered, then M. came and we went shopping.  I got dental floss, bird seed, paper towels, and a pair of tongs.  Not all at the same store location, but the same store name.  I may have left the tongs in the car, though, I shall have to look.

I rode 9.17 miles today and the odometer after it was all over and parked in the garage said 12,691 miles.


Thanks for reading this!

1 comment:

Deanne said...

Man, haven't had Spam in years.

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)