Friday, August 05, 2011

Overcast Friday

Hauled Jamis over to the horsie staging area at MTRP so as to bike up Spring Canyon and snag me some geocaches!

Riding them street tires on the dirt is not optimum. Maybe I should take the dual headlights off, too!  I maybe put some AIR in the rear tire! Lazy me...

The caches, in order:

Rest Stop For Old People Like Harmon -- This one was a Did Not Find (DNF) the last time.  The cache owners have since replaced and relocated it little bit.  Made find easily, THIS time.  The cache is half-way up a BIG hill. I parked Jamis at the bottom. I don't know who Harmon is. He seems to be the butt of a lot of teasing, though. Must be a fine fellow!

Cactus Heart (Redux) -- This one was also a DNF the last two or three times.  This time, with another cacher's coordinates, I made the find.  Eventually.  I really lucked out on this one, I only found it because I was poking the long grass with my poking stick and something went CLUNK. And there is was.  Full of water. The log was soaked, so I put a replacement log sheet in. When did it last rain? At least the cache was not on a hill.  Although I clambered up and down a steep little hillside looking for where it wasn't!


The Log in question...

2011Aug05 geocaching 001

Ragfoot's Foray --  This was a puzzle cache. I'm not good at puzzles, but this one was pretty easy, even for me. It was up another hillside, about as far as Rest Stop was. Except, no trail. Had to whack those bushes. It was an easy find, though.  Here's a pic looking back down the hill, arrow points to the bike down there. That's about a hundred to a hundred and fifty foot elevation drop there, kids.

2011Aug05 geocaching 003


On The Road --  The last cache was back in Mission Trails Regional Park proper.  I was parked on the side of the trail, entering the coordinates into the GPSr, when a woman walking a whippet stopped and asked me if I was geocaching.  We talked a bit, while I was entering the numbers.  I hit enter, and the GPSr told me I was 4,500 miles away from the cache. I told the lady either I did something wrong, or I had a long bike ride in front of me.  She left, I got the data entered correctly, made the find, almost stepping on it while heading in the wrong direction), and biked on back to the vehicle.

After that I thought I better check on one of my caches that was reported as "a bit worse for wear", so I headed over to the grocery store, parked in their parking lot, unloaded the bike, and rode down the Parkway. The cache was laying  on the ground, quite near the curb. The hanger was busted off, so I picked the whole mess up and took it home to fix. It's epoxy time!

I have five caches out there, and three of them have problems reported. I'm glad I don't have a hundred, like some people do!

Bike mile today:  About 8.5 miles.
Caches found:  Four

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dad why dont you post on your blog? are you not musing anymore?

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)