Sunday, May 17, 2009

Foggy Sunday

I woke up late. Or rather, I read for an hour before getting up. So I didn't get out on the road until nearly nine. It was still foggy and overcast.

I found myself climbing up Mt. Helix, on Alto Drive. I saw a couple guys with bikes on the side of the road. One was on his knees, like he was looking for his contacts. The other guy was doing stretches. I said, "What's the deal?', in a funny tone (I hope!). They said "Good morning!"At Alto and Mt. Helix Drive I picked up a companion, a friendly beagle who let me pet him, then he ran along side as I pedaled up the grade. Two cyclists caught me (The same ones? I don't know.) and all four of us made it to the "gate" together. The dog left us, and we finished the climb to the top. One of the guys said it doesn't count unless you go all the way to the cross, so we rode up to it. Next, one of them said it didn't count unless you do some stair-steps, but I begged off and left them to it.

2009May17 Bike Ride 001

Did I mention it was foggy?

2009May17 Bike Ride 002

Compare with: 2009May03 bike ride 003

I headed down Fuerte, always a bad choice. Made a right at Grossmont Blvd., over the bridge, past the high school, and made a ragged left on Murray Drive. Followed it until Travelodge Dr., then made the right and coasted down the hill to W. Main. Made a right, then a left on to El Monte Road, oddly enough, and took that, and its bumps, to Petree. Turned right, then across the tracks and a left on N. Marshall. At N.M. and Fletcher Parkway I got to wait through several traffic light changes. Traffic was just right, so that I couldn't scoot across when the light was green for the go-straight lane. I had to wait till a car came up behind me to trip the doodad.

After the traffic light-enforced rest, I got to climb up the Fletcher Parkway hill, then pedaled along it and then Navajo Road. By now the sun had come out. Good thing I gooped up!

Lots of rocks in the ditch, got to figure out an expedient way to gather them up. Maybe a bike trailer?

I turned right on Golfcrest Drive, and headed down, mostly, to Mission Gorge. Lots of people on Cowles Mountain today. Almost got doored by one.

At Mission Gorge Road I turned left, coasted down the hill, then turned left on Jackson Drive and climbed that hill. There's a lovely-smelling coffee hut at the top, I ought to stop in there sometime.

I noodled around a bit, then ended up at the lake. I went around the lake, didn't see any snakes, and surely annoyed everyone there. And there were a lot of everyones. Many couples on bikes.

After I did all the damage I could do, I rode on home.


Ride Stats
Trip Mileage 22.6 miles (36.4 km)
Trip Time 2:08:57 Avg. Speed 10.06 mph (17.06 km/h)

Week Stats
Schwinn: 22.61 miles
Jamis: 45.22 miles
Week Total: 67.83 miles (109.24 km)

Odometers
Schwinn: 7,730 miles YTD 200 miles (YStart 7,530)
Jamis: 7,539 miles YTD 1,048 miles (YStart 6,491)
Total: YTD 1,248 miles (2,009.28 km)

No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)