Sunday, September 22, 2013

At The Lake

The ride I didn't do yesterday I did today.

I rode up the Parkway, stopping at the Costco cache to make sure all was in order.  It took me a bit to spot it, so I moved it back to where I thought it ought to be. I AM the CO, after all.

I continued on my way, my Ultimate Goal being Northmont.  I discovered its Secret, on this my third or fourth try. As I was sitting on the grass, signing the logbook, an elderly (about the same age as me) recycler passed by and asked me if I was going to "burn one." I asked him what he meant. As in, "huh?" He explained, I said "No", and he left.

As did I.

But not before taking a picture of myself.



I headed on by home by way of the Base of the Helix.  I recalled the  Princess TT's plaintive plea that I "bike Lake Murray" for her.  I can DO that, I thought.  Feeling strong!  So I headed up Jackson to Lake Shore Drive, to an entrance near El Paso Street.  The one with the steep little hill, I am sure the Princess remember.

UPDATE--THIS FILM JUST IN! Plane lands on Lake Shore Drive at Jackson!  Had me going for a minute, 'cause I did NOT remember seeing that!

Upon entering the roadway one immediately encounters this sign, which was new to me, although the sentiment was not.


DISCLAIMER:  Not the actual sign at the spot described.  Representational sample only.

There was quite a plague of walkers and runners and doggies.  I remember why I haven't been here in many years.  While it's a chore (for me) to maintain 15 MPH on the Parkway, it was a chore to stay down to 10 MPH on the lake road!

Boaters on the lake!


CAUTION!  Images may be out of sequence from when actually taken!

Ain't that pretty?  It's from the east side of San Carlos Bay.

At the end there is a sign one must HIT to receive credit.  This is what the Princess TT was concerned about.  As I explained to an elderly (older than me!) couple resting, who remarked, "What a good friend you are!"




Having accomplished my goal I headed back the way I had come, and then on to the lake entrance.

But first, another picture of boaters!





This is from the San Carlos Point area, looking east.

Oh, I forgot the bird with the yellow feet! In a drainage ditch above Del Cerro Bay.



Gotta be a Snowy Egret, but doesn't look a whole lot like the photos on Whatbird.com!


 And then the obligatory ducks, near the lake entrance. Alvarado Bay, the map says.



 I made it home OK, and the mileage was around 16.43 miles today.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)