Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer In Spring Canyon

It was all drizzly this morning, an excellent day to go toiling about in the canyons north of the 52. I loaded up the bike (Jamis) and headed out. I parked at the same place I did Tuesday, near the Equestrian Staging Area (ESA).

After traversing the grassland area I head up the canyon, searching for those elusive geocaches. I found four fairly easily. Check out this map:



I backtracked a bit, then headed UP the extremely steep dirt'n'rock rock that went up the ridge. I found four caches up there. One doesn't show on the map because it was a puzzle cache. Its icon is off the map. You have to solve a puzzle to figure out the actual location of the cache. And my solving said it was way up here on this dirt'n'rock road. And thankfully, it was!

At one of the other caches up here, I got momentarily disoriented because I couldn't see the dirt'n'rock road OR my bicycle! But, just momentarily! This is why you are supposed to waypoint your vehicle before you head off the trail!

You will notice there are around ten or so caches along the way south, along the ridge, that I did not find. That is because I did not expect to go that way, and so I did not bring the coordinates. That means I shall have to trudge up these hills again, sometime!

At the farthest south cache, right above the 52, there was a nice view of the freeway and Spring Canyon. I could see some cyclists way down there.

2010July22 Spring Canyon 004

There was a whole lump of sedimentary rock sticking out of the ground, too. It just struck me as interesting, all those rocks embedded in it. I guess this all used to be seabed or something. "Something", that sounds dumb!

2010July22 Spring Canyon 002


This shot has all the elements. You can see the freeway, way over there to the left. You can see my bicycle leaning on that big green bush. You can see my backpack, my cache list that is so white, and just above the list is the geocache container. A very nice little cactus is present, also.

2010July22 Spring Canyon 005

I found twelve caches today. Two of them do not show on the map, that puzzle cache, and that Did Not Find (DNF) from yesterday. I re-read the logs by other cachers, and got some clues that helped me to figure it out.

I only put about seven miles on the bike today. I wonder what my vertical gain was? There certainly was a lot of pushing UP some steep'n'rocky roads, and some bulldogging DOWN some steep'n'rocky roads.

I used to ride these same steep'n'rocky roads on motorcycle, back in the day, with no fear. But on a bicycle, at least THIS bicycle, I'm a walkin' it!

No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)