Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sunday

I luckily woke up at six this morning, so I did not have to get over the depression of waking up late that overtakes me so many mornings and causes me to stay in bed and read. So Porfiry Rostnikov will just have to wait.

I totally covered my bare skin with sunscreen. I sprayed my arms and legs with the spray stuff. This was the third ride I've used it on, and I used it all up! I don't think it is a very good value. And not very ecological, either. It does seem to work well, though. I must have got enough on because after the ride I had the characteristic layer of grit stuck to the front of my legs. I used regular sunscreen from a bottle for my face and neck. During the ride I put on some lip stuff that I got in a goodie bag on a charity bike ride back in the 80s. It's in a yellow tube. I think it is Thrifty brand. You can't read it anymore... Anyway, it all seems to have work, I'm not feeling any burn.

The ride was up to the UCSD area. Not the first time I've been up there, but it has been a while. Lots of bikes out today. Lots of folks passing me like I was sitting still. And sometimes I WAS sitting still, taking pictures. A lot of said folks said "Good morning!" And the rest of them did not.

Along Santa Fe St. I saw this Jaguar. I think it is a 1969 E-type. It must be a Series 2, it doesn't have the glass headlight covers of the Series 1.

2009August02 bike ride 005
There are a couple more pics over on my zooomr vault, click the pic to go there.

A little bit farther down the road is the Blacksmith Bicycle Wheels shop. I've never been in there, but I see good reviews. I guess you can practice putting while waiting for your wheels.

2009August02 bike ride 011

How cool is that? And how misleading am I?

Up by Checkpoint Elvira I noticed this strangeness, up the hill, in the bushes. My first thought was, why a deck? Then, what's up with that sign?

See, there is a deck to the right, a cement building to the left, and some intense venting to the middle.

2009August02 bike ride 010

And the scary sign.

2009August02 bike ride 009

I apologize for the big pics, but they just look better, and I just don't trust you go to to my zooomr and look at them there! I especially apologize to you on dial-up. You KNOW who you are!

At the UCSD information booth, the one on the north end, there is a bit of construction going on. Here is my extremely artistic interpretation, titled "Crane and Flags".

2009August02 bike ride 007
A couple more pics over at the zooomr.

By the way, there is a drinking fountain at the information booth, I always refill my water bottle there.

I pretty much turned around here and headed back down. I'm not going to talk about the wandering around I did over by Preuss School (Oh, so THAT'S where it is!) and the hospitals in a moment of directional confusion. And I'm not going to mention how some of those photos I took were on the way back, not the way up.

Speaking of out of sequence, back at Sea World Drive and E. Mission Bay Dr., back when I was heading OUT, a cabbie and a Zonie were yelling at each other. She accused him of tailgating her, he pointed out that she had pretty much stopped on a 55 mph road, what did she expect? She cursed, he asked if she needed help finding something, she cursed some more, I laughed and laughed. You will remember that this was the spot where I did my face-plant back on July 25, 2005.

I figured I needed a couple more miles, so when I got down to the San Diego River I headed right, that is, west. I crossed the river on the the Midway Dr./Ingraham St. bridge. There are two bike paths over the bridge, one on each side. Forgetting that I could cross over from one side to the other on the other end of the bridge, I took the east path. Against traffic, as it were. The bike paths are very narrow, and of course, there were a couple guys on bikes coming the other way. I had to stop and grip the handrail till they passed.

Yes, the sign recommends walking your bike!

2009August02 bike ride 013

As I was taking that picture, I saw another picture waiting to be taken at the stop light. Another interesting vehicle.

2009August02 bike ride 012

What composition! Too bad the light changed! Too bad for ME!

Geez.

I headed east on the bike path. Saw this memorial to someone. When I got home I looked it up. I remembered reading the article in the San Diego Onion Tribunal and wondering what had happened. His name was Adrian Vusich, and he was riding a bicycle (Check the link to the pedicab accident, that was scary to read!). Another article suggests he was riding at night and missed a curve. I believe it, that is a curvy little bike path.

2009August02 bike ride 014

There was a bunch of other stuff there, too, like pictures and writings and that, but I didn't get it in the pic, obviously.

A bit farther down the path someone balanced a rock.

2009August02 bike ride 015

The was coming out now, the overcast melting away. It was very hot sitting at stop lights, but actually pleasant, if muggy, in the shady spots.

I did the Montezuma hill in granny, of course, and eventually made it home, tired, but not on death's door.


Ride Stats

Trip Mileage 50.97 miles (82.06 km)
Trip Time 3 hours, 56 minutes
Average Speed: 12.96 mph (20.86 km/h)

Week Stats

Schwinn: 50.97 miles
Jamis: 74.98 miles

Week Total: 125.95 miles

Odometers

Schwinn: 7,822 miles YTD 292 miles (YStart 7,530)
Jamis: 8,142 miles YTD 1,651 miles (YStart 6,491)
Total: YTD 1,943 miles

No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)