Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bike path Sunday

I was reading about bike paths in San Diego last night on Phil Erdelsky's Red Routes In San Diego County, California page. I thought might check a couple out today. I managed to wake up before six, WITHOUT the alarm, and got on the road by 6:06 a.m., mounted on trusty Jamis.

The first bike path was the Greenview, which runs along Highway 94 for a short distance.

2008Nov16 bike ride 001

I would avoid this one, it's narrow and rough. You don't want to fall in the ditch!

I ended up on Bancroft, a road I rarely even DRIVE on. Saw these vehicles getting a make-over. I don't know what that truck is, but it sure is impressive!

2008Nov16 bike ride 002

Erdelsky said the Quarry Road bike path was open, so I headed over there to see. It was, and it looks pretty good!

2008Nov16 bike ride 003

During the week there might still be some construction, but on Sunday morning it was wide open. Looks like Sweetwater Road goes through, too, under the 94, but I didn't verify that.

All during the first hour of this ride I noticed as I went up and down in elevation there were EXTREME changes in the air temperature. It was REALLY warm on the tops, and pretty darn COOL in the lows. My fingers even hurt a little, at one point.

Lot of people out running and jogging along Bonita Road. Not so many cyclists out, though, to that point. I was the only one I saw, but after the runners more cyclists started showing up.

A pretty white heron takes a rest on a piece of trash in the Sweetwater River. The bike path goes for 2.7 miles, according to Erdelsky. By the way, I keep referring to him because his website has a wealth of information!

2008Nov16 bike ride 004

Part of the path is underwater at high tide. Pay attention!

2008Nov16 bike ride 005

It's high tide, the salty water is flowing north into this marsh.

2008Nov16 bike ride 006

There was a homeless guy sitting on the rocks just to the right, soaking his feet in the water. He ignored my cheery "How ya doin'?"

The National City Depot museum is something I've never noticed before. And yet, there it is, right where it's been sitting since the 1800s!

2008Nov16 bike ride 009

There are some "trolley" cars to the right.

2008Nov16 bike ride 007

Can you tell where I edited that photo? There was a power line in there.

Eventually I made my way to 32nd street and headed north to Imperial. Saw a mother German Shepard and her pup near the graveyards. Momma dog was not too enthused to see me. They took off before I could snap a pic. So I ate my Albertson's Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Granola Bar right there on the curb.

After passing the New Lincoln High School I turned left onto Euclid, right onto Federal, and found my way to the Kelton bike path. It's in pretty good repair, but the palm trees referred to by Erdelsky (See, there he is AGAIN!) look like they need a bit of water.

2008Nov16 bike ride 010

One of the trees is decorated with little trinkets. The little yellow sign said "Happy Birthday".

2008Nov16 bike ride 011

Somebody was having a party!

2008Nov16 bike ride 012

Need a spare tire?

2008Nov16 bike ride 014

Need a hubcap?

2008Nov16 bike ride 013

I would not be surprised to find a entire car in the bushes!

In the last mile from home, I sensed that rear tire getting squishy. I figured I was imagining it, I often do. But at a light I squeezed it, and sure enough...

2008Nov16 bike ride 015

IT WAS (PRETTY) FLAT!


But I rode it home anyway, taking care not to HIT THE CURB here!

Now I got something to occupy my time this afternoon.

My après ride snack today was a Baker's Batch Oatmeal Raisin cookie with a dab of chunky peanut butter.

2008Nov16 bike ride 017

That black thingie in the cookie is the raisin...

Read an article about Traditional Baking, of which Baker's Batch is one of their brands. I thought it was interesting. And here is their home page.

Another 99¢ Only store cookie we like is Daddy Rays. It has a malevolent-looking guy on the package, but their fruit bars are good!

I must admit I figured these cookies came from Mexico or China, but they are made right here in the good ol' U.S.A.!! Buy American!

Ride Stats


Trip Mileage 31 miles (49.91 km/h)
Elapsed Time 3:09:00
Riding Time 2:43
Avg. Speed 11.41 mph (18.37 km/h)
Max. Sped 27.02 mph

Week Stats

Schwinn: 00.00 miles
Jamis: 72.39 miles

Week Total: 72.39 miles

Odometer

Jamis: 6,301 miles



No comments:

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)