You can find this information elsewhere, but it has occurred to me that SOME of you don't have an elsewhere! So read this!
ABC Quick Check
- A is for air
- Inflate tires to rated pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tire
- Use a pressure gauge to insure proper pressure
- Check for damage to tire tread and sidewall; replace if damaged
- B is for brakes
- Inspect pads for wear; replace is there is less than ¼" of pad left
- Check pad adjustment; make sure they do not rub tire or dive into spokes
- Check brake level travel; at least 1" between bar and lever when applied
- C is for cranks, chain and cassette
- Make sure that your crank bolts are tight; lube the threads only, nothing else
- Check your chain for wear; 12 links should measure no more than 12 1/8 inches
- If your chain skips on your cassette, you might need a new one or just an adjustment
- Quick is for quick releases
- Hubs need to be tight in the frame; your quick release should engage at 90°
- Your hub quick release should point back to insure that nothing catches on it
- Inspect brake quick releases to insure that they have been re-engaged
- Check is for check it over
- Take a quick ride to check if derailleurs and brakes are working properly
- Inspect the bike for loose or broken parts; tighten, replace or fix them
- Pay extra attention to your bike during the first few miles of the ride
My personal list :
- Verify that helmet is on head.
- Put on gloves, before you lose them.
- Check that you not in the 52/11 combo. , especially after earling the chain.
- Give the brakes a good squeeze, to see if the cable breaks or comes loose.
- Squeeze the tires a bit, to make sure they aren't COMPLETELY flat.
- Secure you shoe laces, so they don't hit on the cranks and make that darn click!