Friday, January 04, 2008

No Rain Yet

I thought it was supposed to rain this afternoon, but none seen yet.

I wore long pants and rode up to Performance to get a couple tubes.

I'm not sure how buying tubes can turn out to be so aggravating, but it did.

I locked up Jamis (no bike racks, what's up with that?) and went in.

Stared at the display of tubes, because, you know, I can't see for beans, but mostly all those metric measurements confuse me. The Jamis tire is 700c x 28.

A guy comes over, asks me if I need a tube for the Jamis. I say yes, he says this is what you need. It's 700c x 19-26 (I think). The box indicates it's a LONG Presta stem. I say, I want a SHORT Presta stem, he hands me another box from the same bin that doesn't indicate it's a LONG stem. I said, but my tire is a 28, he says, this will work fine.

Ok, I buy two.

I get home and compare it with the ones one the bike. You know, the LONG ones. The ones that are so hard to get into the hole.

They're the same.

I dig through the trash, I find the SHORT Presta stem tube. It's a Cheng Shin.
It's the one on the left, below. The SHORT one.

2008Jan04PrestaStems

Performance doesn't carry Cheng Shin, as far as I know. Apparently they don't have any SHORT Prestas, either. That Cheng Shin was the original front tube, by the way.

So now I'm p.o.ed at Performance for convincing me to buy the wrong thing.
I'm p.o.ed at myself for letting them.
And we won't EVEN go into the Not Returning Things phobia I have.
And we won't EVEN mention the different sizes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm an idjit. Why are the LONG ones so hard to get in? Do they hang up in the hole in the rim? I agree they look crappy on non-AERO (or is that oreo) wheels and the extra brass will increase wheel imbalance. You do 1. partially inflate the tube
2. put the tube in the tire
3. put the tire and tube on the rim beginning with putting the valve through the valve hole then working on seating the assembly on the eim working back from both sides?

I don't get it. Why is the valve stem length an issue?

The Squeaky Cyclist said...

Hey, you're not the idjit, I'M the idjit!

Now that we got THAT settled, don't make me have to post pics of my fat, arthritic fingers trying to push that stem through the hole.

The problem is that the stem is so long, you can't get a straight shot on the hole, you have to angle it in, but it's so long it's HARD. Waaaaah!

Anonymous said...

You are not the idjit! I'm the one who doesn't understand.
If you insert the valve stem first (before any tire bead seating) there should be minimal resistance for gnarly inflexible fingers to fight. I keep coming back to suspecting the hole for the stem is a wee bit tight but the stem diameter shouldn't differ between long and short stem tubes. I don't get it. Anyway this is just a work around until the bicycle gods see fit to place a properly stocked shop and parts depo somewhere reasonable accessible to you. Long stem tubes; ptui!

By the way. Save the earth! Keep those cans coming.

Search This Blog

Squeakycyclist's shared items

Geocaching

Profile for squeakycyclist

Blog Archive

About Me

Labels

"flat tire" (9) lights (3) "pet peeve" (2) headlight (2) rocks (2) "Bike Ride" cold (1) "Blue Angels" (1) "Critical Mass" (1) "Eddy Merkx" (1) "Fat Cyclist" jersey "Twin Six" (1) "Harbison Canyon" (1) "Junk food" "pink jersey" (1) "San Diego fire" (1) "Seikima II" "found stuff" (1) "Stella Artois" beer (1) "bike to work day" (1) "cactus flower" "guy showing" (1) "cell phone" (1) "chain lube" (1) "donut star" "cop car" sunflower "invisible aeroplane" (1) "energy bars" (1) "flat tire" "bicycle lights" (1) "flat tire" tubes (1) "fuel shutoff switch" (1) "giant veins" blink (1) "greek streets" (1) "inertia switch" (1) "mop refill" (1) "road rash" (1) "rubber ducky" (1) "safety check" (1) "thin blood" patches (1) "tire repair" (1) "torrey pines" cans flat (1) "wax flowers" (1) ;lint shoes (1) Amsterdam (1) Bike To Work Day (1) Bobke John Coleman Steve (1) Cannondale (1) Easter crane frame (1) Gmaps Bikely (1) Headsweat (1) Mercedes Unimog (1) Moon "giant clevis" "lunette ring" truck Smart "electrical safety" (1) Peeps pump (1) Plews (1) Pre-Oktoberfest (1) Presta tubes (1) RHUBARB (1) San Diego Velodrome paradigm shift beer (1) Schwinn "Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe" "bird poop": (1) Schwinn headset (1) Trek Terry Velodrome Dick Blick Aaron Brothers Michael's (1) Yeti (1) adapter (1) aerial antenna (1) ammonite (1) bagel dial calipers chain wear hairy legs (1) bees (1) bicycle bicycling books reading (1) bicycle bicycling recycling grease (1) bicycle chain (1) bicycle helmet (1) bicycle safety (1) bicycle signs laws (1) bike lanes (1) bikepr0n Magna "Black Wind" bicycle nipple fart (1) birdbarn (1) blessings (1) blimp Bentley (1) brakes (1) can rocks (1) cans (1) cans sprouts (1) chili (1) clouds (1) clownsuits (1) cookies "flat tire" "bike path" (1) cow (1) cow "journalistic integrity" hemroids (1) crane (1) dog fog headset (1) duck (1) email "knockout seals" "monster cruiser" (1) excuses (1) fish tire (1) flag (1) flowers "manhole cover" (1) funny signs shoe hill cell phones (1) gO (1) gloves pedals crane (1) honk (1) hubcap (1) idjits (1) keys "bike lanes" (1) keys rocks shells (1) levers (1) lock (1) lube Landis (1) mileage "bike log" (1) milestone odometer (1) motorcyclist Citroen (1) odometer (1) otay (1) otay river valley (1) pizza starbucks coffee lake murray helmet mirror (1) poop kite (1) quail (1) rabbit (1) rack yingers (1) rocks books signs (1) rocks upsidedown (1) seats (1) shay jeep caramate UCSD (1) snot "found money" "italian handkerchief" (1) socks (1) spider "Hawaian shirt" (1) sunglasses (1) sunglasses "Grand Canyon" Cairo Egypt sweating pig clouds (1) tire (1) tire Thermopylae "Cutty Sark" (1) tire pressure jamis (1) train (1) tubes (1) tweezers (1) weight (1)